Facebook Badge

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Issue #129: Comic Books For The Week Of Wednesday, August 3, 2011:

Superman #714 (DC)
Adventure Comics #529 (DC)
Y The Last Man #1 (After Watchmen ... What's Next $1.00 reprint Vertigo/DC)
Rachel Rising #1 (Abstract Studios)

Superman #714 (DC) *  *  *  *


I'm surprised that I liked this issue so much, thanks to writer Chris Roberson, who was able to make this storyline bearable. We finally get to the bottom of Superman's mystery stalker and her motivations. This issue did a great job of tying up the various plot threads in a satisfying way, including the disagreement between Superman and Lois Lane. I also liked how the ending  wrapped up with the various heroes that the Man of Steel met on his journey, including the Fortress of Solidarity, my favorite part of this series. It reminded me of the Fortress of Solitude of the Superman of 2965 during the silver age. Chris Roberson did a fantastic job of taking a bad story and making it bearable. It makes me wonder what he could have done if he hadn't been saddled with someone else's bad plot. I'll be sure to be first in line whenever Chris writes another Superman story.

Adventure Comics #529 (DC) *  *  *  *


In this final issue before the new DC relaunch, the Legion Academy graduates face their biggest challenge yet when they have to fight Cosmic King to save Legion headquarters. The action is fast, furious and violent. I won't give any hints about whether or not everyone survives, but it is a battle worthy of Legionnaires. The ending leaves a little time for a little character development, and seems to set up the new Legion Of Super-Heroes #1, scheduled to be published on September 21, according to the teaser blurb at the bottom of the final page. The Legion Academy graduates showed a progression of maturity, going from immature cadets to mature heroes by the end of this issue. This storyline didn't let me down, and left me looking forward to the new series relaunch. It's good to see the Legion back on a solid foundation again, heading on a steady course.

Y The Last Man #1 (After Watchmen ... What's Next? $1.00 reprint Vertigo/DC) *  *  *  *


I had heard of the series and its general plot, but had never read it, yet. I had a few extra dollars, so I decided to try this reprint of the first issue. We are introduced to various characters around the world, involved in various situations. By the end of the issue, the whole world is affected by something, and we see each character's reaction. I enjoy character driven stories, and this issue was a joy to read, and it left me interested in the rest of the series, which is the idea of these special priced reprints, after all. It worked for me.

Rachel Rising #1 (Abstract Studios) *  *  *  *  *


First of all, the cover stands out from anything else on the shelf. The story begins with a walk in the woods, and there's no dialogue for the first seven pages, and I was instantly drawn into the story. All I'll say is that something traumatic has happened to Rachel, and she has to figure out what it was. We are introduced to a few supporting characters, and the ending leaves my wanting to read more, which is what a Terry Moore comic book always manages to do.

Send e-mail to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com. Expanded show notes are available at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail about the podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

You can join both the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups on facebook. Follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Billy! We picked up "Y: The Last Man" when it was first out, and enjoyed it a great deal. If you do finish out the series, I am really interested in how you feel about the ending... I am not, however, picking up Rachel Rising right now. It practically kills me, but I am going to wait for the trades on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in reading the series, but it'll be a while before I can because I can't afford to buy any trade paperbacks right now. As for Rachel Rising, Terry Moore is one of those comic book creators who I CAN"T wait for the trades. I have to get the latest issue of any of his titles as soon as it's published!

    ReplyDelete

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews