Facebook Badge

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Issue #86: Free Comic Book Day 2010 Reviews: Part I!

I'm splitting this issue into two parts to keep it as short as possible. In this first part I'll review the official Free Comic Book Day titles I got from the three comic book shops I visited last Saturday, May 4. In the second part I will review the back issues I bought at the three stores.

Acme Comics, Longwood, Florida http://acme-superstore.com

Doctor Solar: Man Of The Atom / Magnus: Robot Fighter (Dark Horse Comics)
Wat Of The Supermen #0 (DC)
Mouse Guard / Fraggle Rock (Archaia)

Doctor Solar: Man Of The Atom / Magnus: Robot Fighter (Dark Horse Comics) * * *

I've heard of these superheroes before but I've never read them before. Doctor Solar is similar to other nuclear powered heroes such as Captain Atom, Firestorm and Dr. Manhattan. We learn a little about his origin, although it is hinted at with just a few details. We see a demonstration of his powers as he defeats someone who is a threat to others. Magnus has the power to destroy robots with his bare hands, and he defeats on old threat who had been rebuilt. He has a little help from the woman Leeja. Their relationship is right out of the silver age, especially with their banter. I liked the art better in the Doctor Solar story, and the story over the art of the Magnus story. Both stories, written by comic book veteran Jim Shooter, are a lot of action over character development. But both were good, solid yarns.

War Of The Supermen #0 (DC) * * * *

I haven't read the last few issues yet of the Last Stand Of New Krypton, but this was one of the main Free Comic Book Day titles I wanted to make sure I got. I didn't want to miss this introduction to the War Of The Supermen story. It didn't disappoint. This issue isn't necessary to read that upcoming mini-series, but it is a nice introduction. The first part is Superman confronting General Zod, which dcoes not go well. The second part involves Lois Lane writing a story which summarizeswhat has transpired from World Of New Krypton through World Against Superman. She gets a huge surprise at the end. Apparently these will be the two main plot threads of War Of The Supermen. Superman and Lois Lane make a great team. If a good issue makes me excited for the upcoming story, this issue did its job.

Mouse Guard / Fraggle Rock (Archaia) * * * * *

Fraggle Rock ran on PBS after my time, so I'm not part of the audience it was written for. I was looking forward to the Mouse Guard, after reading the first volume of that title. A great story and great art make a good introduction to the next story. For the Mouse Guard story alone I give it 5 *'s. I gave my copy to my cousin who is in the first grade.

Comics Central 1425 Wp Ball Blvd, Sanford, FL

Iron Man / Thor (Marvel)
Green Hornet (Dynamite Entertainment)
Irredeemable / Incorruptible (BOOM! Studcios)

This was the first time I've been to this comic book store, which is located in an outparcel building in front of the Target Shopping Center, which is located behind the Sanford Mall. It was fairly crowded, so I didn't have time to look through a lot of their back issues. But I did grab five from one of the 5 for $1.00 boxes. More about them in part II.

Iron Man / Thor (Marvel) * * * *

Thor discovers that he can't control the weather anymore (he is the Norse god of thunder after all), while Tony Stark finds out there's some funny business going on at the Moon. They have an old fashioned superhero team-up. Plus, John Romita, Jr. art always helps. It was a fun read.

Green Hornet (Dynamite Entertainment) * * * *

I read the Green Hornet title that was published by the now defunct Now Comics during the 1990's, and enjoyed the short lived TV show from the 1960's. This issue serves as an introduction to the various Green Hornet titles that Dynamite is publishing. There isn't much of a story becasue of the number of titles being introduced, but I didn't mind it because I enjoyed the previews of the various Green Hornet titles and the different time periods they cover.

Irredeemable / Incorruptible (BOOM! Studios) * * * * *

This issue reprints the first issues of both series. Irredeemable is about the Plutonian, the most powerful superhero turning rogue, and Incorruptible is about the Plutonian's arch-enemy turning good in response. If my budget had any room, I would be reading both titles monthly.

Coliseum Of Comics (Sanford Towne Mall location) http://www.coliseumofcomics.com

The Avengers (from Free Comic Book Day 2009) (Marvel)
Atomic Robo (Red 5 Comics)
Love And Capes (Maerkle Press)

The Avengers (from Free Comic Book Day 2009) (Marvel) * * *

This was left over from last year's Free Comic Book Day, but I didn't mind. There wasn't anything else that interested me from the store's FCBD titles, so I picked it with the other two free titles. The Avengers battle a Norse ice giant. They are joined by Norman Osborne's Dark Avengers. It's a good superhero story with tensions between both Avengers teams throughout the issue. There's not much in regards to character development, but it's still a fun read.

Atomic Robo (Red 5 Comics) * * * *

I've heard of this title before, but haven't read it before. That's one thing I like to do on Free Comic Book Day. While I didn't really learn much about the main characters, it was a fun and humorous story of a trio of explorers, one of whom is a robot. It is mistaken for something else by a strange animal, and its' friends look for it. There are two other stories, Neozoic, about a world where dinosaurs never went extinct and humanity had to fight them for survival. The last one was Box 13, about an author who has uncovered the secrets of an unusual animal experiment on a gorilla. If I had some extra cash, I might check out more issues.

Love And Capes #13 (Maerkle Press) * * * * *

This issue was my favorite one from Free Comic Book Day. It is a humorous story about the relationship between a superhero and his non-superpowered girlfriend. This issue shows them on their honeymoon and settling into married life as newlyweds. It is a slice-of-life story, showing a hero's home life after he finishes his patrols. I've heard this title called a superhero sitcom. It's pretty accurate. I enjoyed the character development that happens between everyone in the story. I'll put this one on my wish list also.

Part II: Back Issues from Free Comic Book Day!

Send e-mail to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com/. Expanded show notes are available at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

You can join both the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups on facebook. Follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews