Facebook Badge

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Issue #86: Free Comic Book Day 2010 Part II: Back Issue Reviews!

I'll finish this issue by reviewing the back issues I bought at the three comic book stores I visited last Saturday for Free Comic Book Day. All I spent was $5.00!

Acme Comics http://acme-superstore.com

Ex Machina: Special Edition #1 (What's Next?: Great Graphic Novels You Should Be Reading) (DC) * * * * *

Last Saturday was between paydays, but I didn't want to go to my comic book store without buying something, so I picked up this issue for $1.00. It was another title I've heard nothing but good things about, but haven't been able to afford to buy. I was not disappointed. This first issue was about how Mitchell Hundred obtained ther ability to control any electronics, and eventually become Mayor of New York City. The last page of the issue has a lot of impact. That's all I'll say.

Comics Central: 1425 Wp Ball Blvd, Sanford Florida

Big Bang Comics #3 October 1994 (Caliber Press)
Magnus: Robot Fighter & Nexus #1 (of 2) March (or December) 1993 (Valiant / Dark Horse)
Magnus: Robot Fighter #27 August 1993 (Valiant)
Lois Lane #1 (of 2) August 1986 (DC)
The Original Dick Tracy #1 September 1990 (Gladstone)

Big Bang Comics #3 October 1994 (Caliber Press) * * *

What grabbed my attentionwas the cover, which I first saw in Eddy Zeno's book Curt Swan: A Life In Comics. It was drawn by Swan and inked by Murphy Anderson. Big Bang Comics recreates the flavor of silver age comic book stories in art style and storytelling. This issue recreates the Crisis Of Two Earths flavor of the classic Justice League stories between Earth-1's Justice League of America and Earth-2's Justice Society of America. It's a lot of fun to read for an older comic book reader like myself. The heroes are archetypes of classic superheroes. give it a try.

Magnus: Robot Fighter & Nexus #1 (of 2) March (or December) 1993 Valiant / Dark Horse * * *

Steve Rude's art is always fun to look at. An alien presents himself to the city that Magnus lives in, and brings knowledge from the future to heal some of the chronic diseases of the inhabitants. The question is if appearences are deceiving. A fun read.

Magnus: Robot Fighter #27 August 1993 (Valiant) * * *

Magnus clashes with an old enemy over tactics in their battle against the robots. This issue had more character moments than the regular Magnus FCBD title. This is one of those classic titles I'd like to check out in back issues, or probably more easily in collected editions.

Lois Lane #1 (of 2) August 1986 (DC) * * *

This issue is the first of a two issue mini-series which involves Lois Lane following the story of missing and murdered children in Metropolis. Sometimes DC has been over the top or heavy handed, but there were not many such moments in this story. It is a pretty good story with a number of plot threads. Lois' relationship with Superman has cooled, and Clark Kent seems to be dating Lana Lang. Lois is involved in some office politics, and she's not totally sympathetic. She seems to have a one track mind when she's digging into a story, to the detriment of everything else, including her relationship with her sister Lucy.

The Original Dick Tracy #1 Spetember 1990 (Gladstone) * * * *

Growing up in the '60's and '70's, I always read Dick Tracy in the Sundcay comics section. I couldn't resist this reprint of Sunday strips from July - September 1943. The inside front and back covers had a brief biography of Dick Tracy creator Chester Gould and history about the strip's creation. The story, pitting Tracy against Mrs. Pruneface, was a great story. It was very dark, and for the most part holds up as a great story even today. One minor part of the ending seemed a little hokey, but overall a satisfying read. I enjoy classic comic strips, and if I could afford to buy reprint editions of them, Dick Tracy would be one I'd collect.

Coliseum Of Comics (Sanfordc Towne Mall location):

Action Comics #808 December 2003 (DC) * * * *

When I bought this issue the store manager said that he couldn't stand the Cir-El Supergirl, andc thanked me for buying the issue so that he didn't have to see her again. I didn't have the heart to tell him that there was another copy of the same issue in the back issue bin. This was publishedc just before I returned to reading comic books. I haven't readc many of the Cir-El Supergirl issues, so I really don't have an opinion about her. This issue was pretty good. Superman was unconscious but recovering in his Fortress of Solitudce, along with Steel's superhero dcaughter Nat, Cir-El, Lana and a girl named Traci. They are attacked by a Japanese woman named Byakko, who has ghost-like powers. She blamed Superman for the death of her husband Gunshin, because she had followed the Man of Steel's example and allowed her husband's greatest enemy to live. He later repayed that kindness by murdering Gunshin. Now she planned to take her revenge on Superman. what I liked about this issue was how the conflict was resolved. I will leave it at that so I don't spoil the story.

The only bad thing about this issue was that when I got home I discovered that I already had this issue. I forgot that I bought a copy shortly after I began collecting Superman comics again. I thought the cover looked familiar. Oh well, that's what I get for not listening to myself.

Free Comic Book Day last Saturday was a lot of fun. I plan on doing it again next year, and maybe try to check out at least one more of the comic book stores in the Orlando area. I'm pretty luck to have a lot of comic book stores in the area. There's also two in the southern part of the county I haven't been to yet. Decisions, decisions.

Send e-mail to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com/. Expanded show notes are available at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

You can join both the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups on facebook. Follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews