Facebook Badge

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Issue #133: Comic Books For The Week Of Wednesday, September 28, 2011:

All-Star Western #1 (DC)
Rachel Rising #2 (Abstract Studios)
Superman #1 (DC)

When I get home after visiting my local comic book shop, Acme Comics in Longwood, Florida, I read them in the reverse order of what I anticipate to be the best issue that week, based on my experiences with previous issues, except for first issues of course. In other words, I save what I think will be the best issue for last. For at least the past year, sadly, Superman hasn't made it to the bottom of my stack. With DC Comics' new 52 I decided to save it for last, since I enjoyed Action Comics #1 so much.

All-Star Western #1 (DC) *  *  *  *  *


I'm not a big fan of the western genre in comics per say, but I did enjoy Gray and Palmiotti's recently cancelled Jonah Hex series. Sadly, I had to drop it for budgetary reasons, but I had a little room in my comic book buying allowance, and this was an easy choice. I haven't read a lot of their comic book titles, but what I have read I enjoy because of their knack for unique characterizations and development. This issue did not disappoint. Jonah Hex arrived in the Gotham City of the late 1800's, at the invitation of Dr. Arkham,  to investigate a rash of murdered prostitutes. Hex quickly placed his stamp on the town, and we visit a good cross section of the city, from high society to the slums. By the end of the issue there appears to be more going on than meets the eye. Because of a clue on the back page, I couldn't help but wonder if a younger Ra's Al Ghul is involved. I'm not giving away any spoilers, just sharing a guess just on the slim chance that I may be right. I have already added this title to my pull list.

Rachel Rising #2 (Abstract Studios) *  *  *  *  *


In this issue we are introduced to a member of Rachel;s supporting cast, and a little girl finds a stranger in her house. What stood out for me the most about this issue was Terry Moore's ability to craft dialogue in a way to reveal a character's history in such a natural conversational way, without feeling like necessary but clunky info dump via word balloons in your average comic book. It draws us into Rachel's world and the mystery she is attempting to solve. The final scene made me realize that something deeper was going on under the surface of the main story, and left me wishing the third issue would hurry up and get here.

Superman #1 (DC) *  *  *  *  *


Out with the old and in with the new, and that's how this issue begins (although I'll leave it up to you to discover how). As much as I enjoyed Action Comics #1, I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy this issue. George Pérez wrote and laid out this issue, which was drawn by Jesús Merino. Surprisingly, I liked it a little bit better than Action #1. This was a much denser story, meaning no criticism of Action, with up to twelve panels per page. I found that I didn't mind Superman's new costume. There were elements of the Julius Schwartz era of Superman continuity brought into this new continuity, but changed and updated in a refreshing way. We're introduced to the supporting cast in the middle of covering a breaking story, which is a great way to get a feel for the characters, under pressure. It will be interesting to watch the Clark/Lois/Superman relationship unfold in this new continuity. After reading this issue I had the urge to read it again, which hasn't happened for an issue of Superman in a long time. I hope DC keeps up the good work. So far, I'm on board with this new Man of Steel.

Send e-mail to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com. Expanded show notes are available at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail about the podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

You can join both the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups on facebook. Follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews