Facebook Badge

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Pull List Issue #102: Comic Books For The Week Of Wednesday, November 17, 2010:

Superman #705 (DC)
Legion Of Super-Heroes #7

and from the Superman back issue bins at Acme Comics in Longwood, Florida

Action Comics #762 (Triangle #: 200 #9) (DC)

Superman #705 (DC) *  *  *

The John Cassaday cover sums up the subject of the issue, domestic abuse. Superman enters Mount Prospect, Illinois, and the citizens are nervous about the Man of Steel entering their city. In the background of one panel is a woman who resembles a character from a previous issue, and is in one of Clark Kent's nightmares in this issue. If collateral damage from superhero/villain battles were a part of real life, I'd be nervous too. If a superhero was coming to town, was a super villain far behind? Clark and Lois continue to spend time together in the evening, which I'm glad for in this storyline, since the rest of Superman's supporting cast are not a part of the story. The Man of Steel discovers a case of domestic abuse. I was pleasantly surprised that the issue was not as heavy handed in handling the message as past DC stories have been. The situation was handled in a real and convincing manner. That feeling was ruined by Superman's last coment in this issue:

All it needed ... all it really needed -- was someone, anyone, with a pair of eyes, a voice, a phone -- and ten cents worth of compassion.

I can understand Superman's anger over the abuse the wife and son experienced. But I thought that the purpose of this storyline was to have the Man of Steel reconnect with humanity. Instead, he continues to act as if he is above everyone. The lesson isn't sinking in, yet. I wonder when Sueprman will begin to get the message. This isn't the same Superman from the end of the War Of The Supermen storyline. And he isn't a sympathetic character. Is this how J. Michael Straczynski sees the Man of Steel? We don't see the same character.

Legion Of Super-Heroes #7 (DC) *  *  *  *

A Legion team  assist the Science Police with a murder investigation of a United Planets Councilor. They discover a clue that leads them to suspect Durlans are behind it, in time to engage a few of them in a fight. Mon-El and Earth Man have a meeting of minds over Shadow Lass, and you can imagine how that goes. The second story of the issue, involving Brainiac 5 and Chameleon Boy going to Naltor, where B-5confronts Professor Li over the secret he has discovered about her. Legion and Adventures continue to be the best DC comics I'm reading this year.

Wish I could say the same about Superman. I don't enjoy being negative about Superman. I'm going to see this storyline, as well as the Lex Luthor story over in Action Comics, until they end, and see what comes next. I've read a lot of Superman stories over the years, and they aren't all great. If next year's stories, which DC has announced will involve the return of Doomsday, continue to underwhelm me, I will consider dropping the Superman titles for a while. But I won't cross that bridge until I get there.

Action Comics #762, February 200 (Triangle # 2000: #9) (DC) *  *  *  *

This is the first back issue of my quest to fill the hole in my Superman comic book collection. This was a Christmas story, which began with Clark and Lois decorating their apartment and discussing  the problems of gift shopping for a super hero. It's a humorous scene when Superman agreed to do his Christmas shopping as Clark Kent and braved the horde of rabid holiday shoppers. Lois had some second thoughts about making her husband do his Christmas shopping as a mere mortal, and finding another reason why she loves him. The magical character La Enchantadora, who I am not familiar with, was also doing her holiday shopping at the same mall where Clark discovered The Demon playing the mall Santa. Superman and The Demon battle over the true meaning of Christmas. I was surprised that I liked this issue more than what I expected I would. I also like Plastic Man;s version of Jingle Bells, "Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Barda laid an egg..." Just don't tell her I said so.

Send e-mail to mypulllist@gmail.com.


Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com. Expanded show notes are available at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail about the podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

You can join both the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups on facebook. Follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews