Facebook Badge

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Issue #106: Comic Books For The Year 2011:

While everyone is polishing off their gift shopping list, as well as adding those last inute items on their wish list for Santa Claus, I thought I would post my comic book list for the coming year. With DC Comics dropping the majority of their titles back to $2.99, I looked at my subscription list to see what I could add to my list while staying within my budget. I wound up being able to add one title to my subscription list at Acme Comics, in Longwood, Florida.
There are a few titles on my short list of comic books that I'm interested in adding to my pull list as I can afford it:

Fables (Vertigo/DC)
Jack Of Fables (Vertigo/DC)
Elephantmen (Image)
Usagi Yojimbo (Dark Horse)

The majority of my subscription list will remain unchanged.

DC Comics:

Action Comics
Adventure Comics
Legion Of Super-Heroes
Superman

After the whole New Krypton storyline ended, the current storyline, Grounded, has been disappointing. I can't buy into the premise, at this point of Superman's career, even though some issues have had some good stories. In 2011 Doomsday will return. I'm hoping to see more of Clark Kent. I'll be happy to see gold ol' Clark again. One thing I hope DC doesn't do with Doomsday is think, "What can we do with Superman that hasn't been done before?" and decide to have Doosday rip off one of Superman's arms or something like that. The two Legion titles have been more fun for me. While the Legion is my second favorite group, it's still sad that my favorite comic book hero, Superman, isn't on par with the Legion titles right now. I've read a lot of Superman stories over the years, beginning in the mid-1960's when I first learned to read. There have been a lot of bad as well as good stories, so I'm not looking to drop the Superman titles. But if the Doomsday plotline continues a decline in quality, I might consider dropping Superman until the next storyline comes along. Then I would check it out and see if I'd want to pick it up again. I hope it won't come to that.

Icon/Marvel:

Powers

With Bendis and Oeming doing another creator owned all ages project, I've not heard when the next issue, #7 will be published. But it's such a great series, I'll wait patiently for it. In the months it doesn't publish, I'll use that money to fill the gap in my Superman collection in the early 2000's.

Image

Invincible

This is my only Image title, but it's enough to make me a fan of Robert Kirkman's writing. He knows how to build characterization into each issue, as well as build multiple plots into the continuing narrative month to month.

Abstract Studios

Terry Moore's Echo

This series will wrap up in four more issues, and I haven't heard what his next project will be. I began collecting his original series, Strangers In Paradise, somewhere in the 70's by issue number. Rest assured I will be picking up his next series, no matter what it is. I enjoyed how SIP ended, and Echo has been equally fantastic. Terry Moore can't lose, as far as I'm concerned.

The title I've decided to add to my comic book pull list is Fables, published by Vertigo/DC, and written by Bill Willingham. I've heard nothing but great things about the title, and now is the perfect time to jump on board. I have read the first trade paperback, and part of the second. I can't afford to add its companion titles, Jack Of Fables, or Cinderella (which was published in a mini-series, with a second being published now if I'm not mistaken). I can't wait to begin following Fables monthly.

Meanwhile, let me wish everyone Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, and may all of the presents you get be comic book related! If you're reading this blog you will probably find that a good thing.

Send e-mail to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com. Expanded show notes are available at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail about the podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

You can join both the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups on facebook. Follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews