Facebook Badge

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Issue #96: Catch Up Week #22 Part II: Comic Books For The Week Of Wednesday, August. 18, 2010:

Dark Horse Comics special $1.00 reprints:
Hellboy #1
Usagi Yojimbo #1

I didn't have any of my regular titles being published this week, but I couldn't resist these two special first issue reprints.
Hellboy #1 *  *  *  *  *

I had already read the trade paperback of the first story, Seeds Of Destruction, but couldn't resist the opportunity to buy the first issue. I've only seen the first movie. While I haven't seen the second movie or the two (I think) animated features, I do enjoy the character Hellboy. I remember when he first appeared on the shelves back in the 1990's. If I could go back in time I'd make sure I bought the title from the beginning, and have a lot more issues to read from my collection. You can't miss with a story combining demons and Nazis.

Usagi Yojimbo #1 *  *  *  *  *

I have heard several interviews with creator/writer/artist Stan Sakai, which were very interesting. In the past I couldn't get into the title, but after reading this reprint of its first issue, I'm hooked. I'll have to scour the area libraries for trade paperbacks of the title to begin catching up. In the first few pages Stan summarizes Usagi's start as a samauri who lost his Lord in battle and began his warrior pilgrimage. He enteres a new town and meets a new friend. He gets involved with the town's crime wave and corruption. This issue introduces various Japanese words, with brief definitions, without breaking the story's flow. It's a great way to learn about life in feudal Japan through anthropomorphic characters. I can't wait to learn more.

Send e-mail to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com/. Expanded show notes are available at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about the podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

You can join both the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups on facebook. Follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews