Facebook Badge

Saturday, January 29, 2011

From The Comic Shop #20: Saturday, January 29, 2011:

Thankfully, payday was yesterday, so that meant that I would be able to go to my local comic book shop, Acme Comics in Longwood, Florida. I had one title waiting for me from last week and two more for this week.

From last week, Wednesday, January 19, 2011:


Legion Of Super-Heroes #9 (DC)

This week:

Action Comics #897 (DC)


Fables #101 (DC)

This is the first issue of the title I added to my pull list for 2011, thanks to DC Comics' price cut. While I've bought the first two trades of the earliest Fables storylines, this is the first monthly issue I've bought at full price. I did buy the special $1.00 Vertigo reprint of the first issue, but that doesn't count. I'm looking forward to reading Fables regularly each month. I expect to enjoy this title very much.

Speaking of special $1.00 reprints, I did buy two other $1.00 reprints off Acme's shelf reserved for the $1.00 reprints from quite a few comic book publishers. I glanced through Acme's Superman and Legion back issues, but I decided to save my money for some upcoming Annuals, such as Legion Of Super-Heroes and perhaps Superman/Batman, since this second title will tie in to the Doomsday Reigns storyline that has just begun in the Superman Family of books. So I glanced at the $1.00 special edtion rack and two titles caught my interest.

Magnus, Robot Fighter 4000 A D (Dark Horse Comics 1 For $1.00)

I'm familiar with the name of this original Gold Key title, but never had a chance to read this title. The Russ Manning art made this an easy choice.

Mata Hari #1 (Radical Premiere)

This is a fictional comic book about the real woman who was executed by the French during WWI as a German spy. This issue serves as an advertisement for the graphic novel by the same name that is scheduled to be published this spring. Most of the issue contains the first 15 pages of the graphic novel, followed by a text piece written by the author of the graphic novel giving some background about Mata Hari and some context of the times. I doubt I will be able to afford the graphic novel, but I enjoy anything that involves biography and history, even when it involves a fictional work or a comic book.

While I'm looking forward to the end of Lex Luthor hogging Action Comics, otherwise it's going to be a fun week of reading comic books. Plus I picked up the free MegaCon 2011 tabloid, listing all of the comic book and media guests. This past week I received an e-mail that informed me that I was approved for a press pass for MegaCon. I will be covering it for my podcast and blog Superman Fan Podcast.

Send e-mail to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com. Expanded show notes are available at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail about the podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

You can join both the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups on facebook. Follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews