Facebook Badge

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Preview #11: Comic Books For The Week Of Wednesday, June 9, 2010:

Well, believe it or not, this is a rare week when none of the comic book titles I subscribe to are published this week. There is one title that interested me, however. The first issue of Tom Strong And The Robots Of Doom is published this week from Wildstorm/DC Comics. While co-creator and writer Alan Moore is no longer involved, penciller and co-creator Chris Sprouse returns for art duties, joined by writer Peter Hogan (no relation as far as I know). Unfortunately, after checking my subscription list, I don't have enough room in my comic book buying budget to squeeze it in. I have bought and read the special reprint of Tom Strong #1, part of the After Watchmen ... What's Next? promotion for DC's Wildstorm and more adult Vertigo lines of comic book titles. I enjoyed it very much and hope to buy the entire series in paperback, eventually. Even though I won't be buying this title, I do want to bring this to anyone's attention who is interested in comic books that are different from the usual superhero fare. Tom Strong harkens back to the pulp magazine era which preceded comic books, and were the ancestor of our modern paperback books. Tom Strong is most similar to the pulp character Doc Savage, but is more than a copy of or an homage to. He has received the usual Alan Moore treatment, and lives in his own well developed world.

I'm sure next week won't be a repeat. As far as I know, I have one title that will be published next week. But that is the subject of a future blog.

Send e-mail to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com/. Expanded show notes are available at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

You can join both the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups on facebook. Follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews