Facebook Badge

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Issue #125: Comic Books For The Week Of Wednesday, June 22, 2011:

Action Comics #902 (DC)
Superman #712 (DC)
Fables #106 (Vertigo/DC)
John Byrne's Next Men #7 (IDW)

Action Comics #902 (DC) *  *  *


After what happened to the Eradicator last issue, the remaining Superman Family heroes have to deal with the plunging Doomsday ship that threatens Metropolis. There are some nice character moments between Lois and Jimmy, and they were my favorite parts of the issue. This storyline is okay, but that's about it. W.hile I like it better than the previous Lex Luthor story, this is not shaping up to be a story I'm very excited about. I'm not sure if I can put a finger on it. Maybe there's not enough Clark Kent. I hope DC doesn't forget about him after the September relaunch.

Superman #712 (DC) *  *  *  *, DC Comics 0


This may be my favorite Superman issue this year, and the Man of Steel is barely in the story. The problem is, this story takes place after the end of the mini-series Infinite Crisis, and deals with the aftermath of Conner Kent Superboy's death through the eyes of Krypto. It is a very emotional and touching story. Too bad it didn't get published back then, when it would have had more impact. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember hearing that Dan Didio had pulled this story because he wasn't crazy about Krypto. But I'm not positive on that point so don't take it as fact. This story replaced the previously solicited story about Superman meeting an Arab-American superhero facing prejudice during the Man Of Steel's Grounded story. That was pulled, and there have been various reasons rumored to be behind the decision, from avoiding controversy with an Arab character, to a problem with a scene where Superman rescues a cat (too similar to Superman The Movie), to the artist being late. Who knows. This isn't the first fill in story during the Grounded plot, which makes it easier for me to look forward to the Superman relaunch. It can't happen fast enough.

Fables #106 (Vertigo/DC) *  *  *  *


The Super Team story wraps up in an unexpected fashion. To some extent the resolution of the conflict is a little anti-climatic, but I'm relieved for the surviving Fables. There are several scenes as various characters come to terms with what happens, and leaves plot threads for the next Fables story. I don't mind how the fight between the North Wind and Mr. Dark ended. That's all I'll say without spoiling the story. The character moments that fill the issue kept my interest in this issue just fine, and I'm looking forward to the next story. The Fables aren't out of trouble just yet.

John Byrne's Next Men #7 (IDW) *  *  *  *  *


The mystery of Jasmine's disappearance is solved in this issue, and Toni's confrontation with John Wilkes Booth is also resolved. We also learn what happens to Nathan in Roman times. The Next Men's powers cut out again for some reason, and I'm sure that's a mystery that will be dealt with in the future, I'm sure. There is some more time travel, as well as alternate history, which make this a deeper story. We also learn a little bit more about the time travelers who have rescued the Next Men, or at least one of them. This series is living up the hopes I had for it when I first read the announcement.

Send e-mail to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com. Expanded show notes are available at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. Send e-mail about the podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

You can join both the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups on facebook. Follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews