Facebook Badge

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Comic Book Spotlight #1: Kill Shakespeare!

Since I have no comic book titles on my pull list for the week of Wednesday, July 8, 2010, this would be a good time to spotlight a new comic book series that has recently begun publication.
Kill Shakespeare is a new monthly comic book series being published by IDW Publshing. The series is written by Conor McCreery and Anthony Del Col, drawn by Andy Belanger, and colored by Ian Herring. The third issue has just been published. I first became aware of this title from several podcasts, and looked for it during my next visit to my local comic book shop. I was not disappointed. The story was interesting and the art great. If I had to describe the art style I would call it an animation or cartoony style. It does a grat job of telling the story and conveying the emotions of the characters.
This series gathers the various Shakespearean heroes and villains into two groups. One considers Shakespeare a wizard and want to kill him, and the other wants to save him. The main character of the series is none other than Hamlet. The first issue begins with a quick summary of the main points of his story. Hamlet then meets Richard III, who asks him to join in a quest with potentially a great reward.

In the second issue Hamlet meets Iago, Macbeth and his wife. Hamelt meets Falstaaf in the third issue. Lady Macbeth lives up to her reputation.

This series is a fun romp through the Shakespearean world. A friend of mine who is also a fan of the Bard reads this series. So I would recommend it for Shakespeare afficionados and novices alike. You don't need to be an expert on Shakespearean lore to understand or enjoy the story.

In the interest of full disclosure, while I enjoyed looking through the first issue of Kill Shakespeare, I did not have room in my comic book budget to add this title to my subscription list at my comic shop. the creators of this title were gracious enough to allow me to read the first three issues digitally. If you don't see it at your local comic shop, ask for it, or you can order it through the internet. For more information on Kill Shakespeare go to their website http://www.killshakespeare.com/. To read a preview of issue 3 go to http://www.killshakespeare.com/behindthecurtain/?p=740. I would give this series 4 stars out of 5.

Send e-mail to mypulllist@gmail.com.
Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com/. Expanded show notes are available at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.
You can join both the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups on facebook. Follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews