Facebook Badge

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Comic Book News #1: John Byrne's Next Men & All-Star Superman!

This past weekend I glanced at the headlines coming out of the San Diego ComiCon, but did not follow them closely. There weren't any stories that caught my eye or excieted me, but then maybe I'm just showing my age. But the other day I saw two comic book stories that did catch my attention and get me excited.

Beginning in December 2010, IDW Publishing will print new issues of John Byrne's creator owned series, Next Men. It was originally published by Dark Horse Comics beginning in 1992 and ran for 31 issues (beginning with an issue #0) through 1994. The series ended on a cliffhanger and John Byrne had planned to continue it in the future. Tomorrow never came, as Byrne did not feel the time was right to bring it back for various reasons. With his recent work for IDW on the Star Trek licensed comic books John Byrne has begun creating new comic book stories on a regular basis again. Apparently the time is now right for Next Men  to return.

I bought every issue as they were published, and I still have them. The Next Men were government created superheroes as part of a secret project. What made these heroes unique were that their powers affected their individual physiologies. One hero had vision powers, and so his pupils filled his eyes. Another hero ran very fast, and so his leg muscles were muscled out of proportion to his upper body. One hero was invulnerable, but could not sense hot or cold. The stories took many twists and turns, as the team were on the run from government agents on their trail. I don't know if there will be any reprints of the original stories, but the plan is to continue the story from where it left off.

When I go to my local comic book shop, Acme Comics in Longwood, Florida http://acme-superstore.com/ this Saturday, I will be sure to sign up for the series.

The other comic book story I saw that excited me was the announcement that comic book writer and editor Dwayne McDuffie will adapt the comic book mini-series All-Star Superman for a Warner Premiere DVD animated movie. I've bought all but the last two movies, only because I'm tightening my belt financially, but I will be buying this one the day the movie appears on store shelves. Created by writer Grant Morrison and artist Frank Quitely, All-Star Superman ranks among my all-time favorite Superman comic book stories. Frank Quitely has a unique but excellent art style, and his Superman was as iconic as any Man of Steel ever drawn. With Warner Premiere's reputation of adapting the art style of the comic stories for the movies, I'm looking forward to seeing Quitely's style put to motion.

Now these were comic book stories to get excited about, at least for an older comic book reader like me.

Send e-mail to mypulllist@gmail.com.


Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com/. Expanded show notes are available at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about the podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

You can join both the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups on facebook. Follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews