Facebook Badge

Monday, April 26, 2010

Issue #84: Catch Up Week #19 Part I: Comic Books For The Weeks Of Wednesday, March 3 & March 10, 2010:

Yes, I'm two months behind on this blog. After a great time at MegaCon, I got thrown off my usual schedule and I've been catching up ever since. First I had to decipher my scribblings at the panels I attended at MegaCon so I could write about them on my Superman Fan Podcast blog for Episode #118. Since then I've been scrambling to get back on schedule on that podcast. This past weekend I succeeded on getting back on schedule with the podcast, and now it's time to do the same for this blog. I could just skip the last two months and pick up from here, but I started this blog to review the titles I read each week. Better late than never I guess. Maybe you'll find something that catches your interest. Anyway, I'm not about to review two months of comic books on this one blog post. I will break up this issue into four parts, reviewing two week's worth of titles in each post. That way it will be in more digestible chunks.


Comic books for the week of Wednesday, March 3, 2010:


Marvel's Greatest Comics: The Invincible Iron Man #1 (Marvel)
Jonah Hex #53 (DC)
Adventure Comics #8/511 (DC)

Marvel's Greatest Comics: The Invincible Iron Man #1 (Marvel)

Back a couple of decades ago, Marvel's Greatest Comics reprinted the early Fantastic Four stories, starting with the original Lee/Kirby era. Today, Marvel is uisng that banner to reprint a series of first issues from various series, all for the price of $1.00. This is a great way to introduce a current or recent title comic book readers might have missed, and make them available at an affordable price.

The Invincible Iron Man #1 was originally published with the July 2008 cover date. It began with Tony Stark, a.k.a. Iron Man, as head of S.H.I.E.L.D. While a lot has happened to Tony Stark since then, which I won't spoil here, it was fun to see where this title started. It was a great story, written by Matt Fraction and drawn by Salvador Larroca. There was a lot of character development and action in the middle of setting up the first storyline. There were two terrorist attacks, one in Africa, the other in New York, both using Iron Man like technology. We meet Ezekiel Stane, son of one of Tony Stark's top enemies. Both plot threads do not bode well for Iron Man. The issue ends as Iron Man investigates the first terror attack in Africa. Tony Stark is one of the most interesting characters in the Marvel Universe, a complex man who divided the Marvel Heroes during Civil War. If money were no object I would be reading this title, and so I strongly recommend it. And yes, I will be watching Iron Man 2 at the theater when it premieres.


Jonah Hex #53 (May 2010) (DC) * * * * *

I don't normally subscribe to Jonah Hex, only because of my limited comic book budget, but I could not resist picking up this issue thanks to Billy Tucci's art. Since I was soon going to meet Billy at MegaCon I had to buy this issue. (I got it autographed by Palmiotti, Gray and Tucci.) And I was not disappointed. Billy's art is fantastic as usual, and this story by Palmiotti and Gray was great as well. This issue follows the usual pattern on the series in telling a complete story in one issue. Hex hires a chorus girl to help him hunt down some train robbers. The plot takes several twists and turns and is a very satisfying story, ending as only a Jonah Hex story can. If only I could afford to buy this title every month.

Adventure Comics #8/511 (Last Stand Of New Krypton #30) (DC) * * * * *

The issue begins with a look into Brainiac's childhoold and his lineage stretching back to the original Brainiac. Then we learn of the threat facing the 31st Century. And of course, Brainiac 5 has a plan to fight it. Back in our time, Conner Kent and Mon-El learn what's up with the Legion Espionage Squad and why they're in the 21st Century. The issue ends with a third feature about Officer Romundi, who hides a few secrets. We also learn the backstory about Gen. Lane and his motivations for his campaign against Superman. All three parts have different creative teams, but the first two parts go together seamlessly, and the final story with Romundi also ties into the overall plot of the World Against Superman story.

Comic books for the week of Wednesday, March 10, 2010:

Marvel's Greatest Comics: The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz #1 (Marvel)
Last Stand Of New Krypton #1 (331) (DC)
Action Comics #887 (Last Stand Of New Krypton #32) (DC)
Powers #3 (Icon/Marvel)

Marvel's Greatest Comics: The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz #1 (Marvel) * * * *

This is another title in the current line of reprints under the Marvel's Greatest Comics banner. The title was originally published beginning in December 2008. This reprint of the title's first issue began Marvel's adaption of the Frank Baum book, in the hands of writer Eric Shanower and artist Skotie Young. If you've seen the classic film, the characters and plot are familiar, but does have its differences. It begins with the tornado on the Kansas farm and ends with Dorothy meeting the Scarecrow. While nothing can take the place of reading the original books, which I have yet to do, if you are a fan of Oz, this is a satisfying adaption.

Last Stand Of New Krypton #1 (of 3) (#31) (DC) * * * 1/2

Andy Kubert drew this cover, a great shot of Superman fighting Brainiac's robot skull ship, with a world of Kryptonians flying toward the battle. The only thing I didn't like about the cover was Andy's depiction of Superman. The face really didn't grab me as belonging to the Man of Steel.

The mini-series begins with the Brainiac robots attacking New Krypton, as they did back on Krypton. While there are casualties, the Kryptonians put up a better fight this time. Zod begins using his defense strategies he created against Brainiac. All I'll say is don't plan on retiring if you're part of the Kryptonian military guild. Superman makes a hard choice, and some welcome allies join him to defend New Krypton. The issue ends with a surprise for the Man of Steel.

While this was a satisfying story, I had to knock half of a point off because this should have been part of the conclusion to World Of New Krypton. A mini-series should not end with the beginning of a new mini-series. World Of New Krypton started strong but dragged along for the last several issues. The plot could have been tightened and this mini-series serve as the conclusion, and it would have been a stronger story. I just hope I won't be saying the same thing when War Of The Supermen begins. Otherwise this issue was a strong story.

Action Comics #887 (Last Stand Of New Krypton #32) (DC) * * * 1/2

Nightwing and Flamebird continue their battle against the god Rao that was re-created by Kryptonian sleeper agent Jax-Ur. We discover the results of his treatments on Chris Kent/Nightwing. And of course, Lois Lane is at ground zero covering the battle. I work at a newspaper, in the pre-press department. While I'm no journalist, it does bug me a little how in comic books reporters insert themselves into the story when we read their story as part of the narration. This issue is no different. While this battle is in its own corner, away from the main battle for New Krypton, it is still a satisfying story. The Captain Atom second feature is still hard for me to be care about.

Powers #3 (vol. III) (Icon/Marvel) * * * * *

The cover indicates both the weather and the mood of the story inside. It's raining as Walker and his partner Sunshine drive Erika Broglia, the daughter of a mob family, to the police station. They have arrested her for the murder of Walker's old WWII superhero partner Z. But Momma doesn't want to let her little girl go, for reasons you might not think.We also get a flashback to Walker's WWII heroics as part of the Screaming Eagles superhero team. There is so much action that the story ends on the inside back cover. Powers continues to be a title I that I save to read last because I know it will be the best comic book of the week. As usual, it didn't disappoint.

Send e-mail to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com/. Expanded show notes are available at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

You can join both the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups on facebook. Follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews