Facebook Badge

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Issue #82: Catch Up Week #18: Comic Books For The weeks of Wednesday, February 17, 2010 & Wednesday, February 24, 2010:

Comic books for the week of Wednesday, February 17, 2010:

The Tick #2 (New Series) (New England Comics)
Supergirl #50 (DC)
Invincible #70 (Image)

Comic book for the week of Wednesday, February 24, 2010:

Superman #697 (World Against Superman #29) (DC)

Comic books for the week of Wednesday, February 17, 2010:

The Tick #2 (New Series) (New England Comics)

I have decided not to continue picking up this series. I love the character, but I have a very limited comic book buying budget. And between Last Stand Of New Krypton, War Of The Supermen and Superman: Secret Origin my budget is going to be pretty full. I thought I should note it on this blog. I would recommend it to anyone who loves superhero comic books.

Supergirl #50 (DC) * * * *

Supergirl reached a milestone in this issue, as as a super heroine. She battles Insect Queen, and manages to use her brain as well as her brawn in the battle. The story served as a marker of her growth as a superhero, and a turning point in her personal life. This was the first look I've had at Gangbuster's new costume since he returned to the DCU. My only question about this issue is Kara's response to a close friend at the story's end. It seemed to show she still has a little growing up to do. I don't want to be more specific because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read the issue yet. Overall a worthy story for a milestone issue. The story will continue in Last Stand Of New Krypton #1. The back of the issue had a story co-written by the movie Supergirl actress Helen Slater, who was also Lara on Smallville. It was a type of recap of her career to this point, as told through a nes show Greet The Press, hosted by Daily Planet political reporter Ron Troupe. The art, by Cliff Chiang, was different, but I thought it was very good.

Invincible #70 (Image) * * * * *

As the cover suggests, Invincible battles the Seguid invasion of Earth, along with the Guardains of the Galaxy, who first responded to the threat in the previous issue. It is a good back and forth battle, with several turns of the tide during the conflict. Quite a dense fight in a small number of pages. Oliver is really growing up, and we get a lot of character development about him in the one page he appears in the issue. We're left with some questions about the relationship between him and his brother Mark. And we see some of the supporting cast dealing with the battle's aftermath. An excellent issue, as always.

Comic book for the week of Wednesday, February 24, 2010:

Superman #697 (World Against Superman #29) (DC) * * * * *

This issue had a little bit of everything: the Guardian and Mone-El, who got some help from some very special friends, that the Daxamite will become more familiar with later. Again, I can't be more specific without spoiling the issue. I can say that the mystery of what happened to Control at the end of last issue is resolved. And Mon-El and Superboy have a talk at the Kent farm, as the cover suggests. The story leads into Adventure Comics #8. Can't wait to read it!

I'm writing this blog entry on Saturday, March 6, 2010, when I happened to go to my local comic book shop, Acme Comics, in Longwood, FL http://acme-superstore.com/. The issues I got were:

Adventure Comics #7/510 (DC) I had been picking this book up off the shelf, and hadn't put it on my pull list, so the week it was published, it was sold out before I got there. The helpful staff re-ordered it.

Jonah Hex #53 (DC) This is not on my pull list, and will not be on a regular basis. I'd love to get it regularly, but I can't squeeze it into the budget. But next weekend is MegaCon in the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida, and co-writer Jimmy Palmiotti and issue artist Billy Tucci will be guests, and I couldn't resist.

The Invincible Iron Man #1 (Marvel's Greatest Comics) (Marvel) This reprint of the first issue was a freebie.

I will post some blog entries next weekend about my experiences at MegaCon here, and on the Superman Fan Podcast. Stay tuned.

Send e-mail to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com/. Expanded show notes are available at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

You can join both the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups on facebook. Follow both the podcast and blog on twitter @supermanpodcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews