Facebook Badge

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Issue #52: Comic Books For The Week Of Wednesday, April 29, 2009, And Free Comic Book Day, Saturday, May 2, 2009!

This week I waited until Free Comic Book Day, Saturday, May 2, 2009, to get my regular titles, since I have about a 45 minute drive to Acme Comics http://acme-superstore.com/ in Longwood. The store opened at 10:00 a. m. and I got there about 15 minutes later. I needed to get there early because I was having family over to my house around noon to grill burgers and hot dogs, plus I wanted to make sure I got the Free Comics I wanted, after looking at the available selection at the Free Comic Book Day web site http://www.freecomicbookday.com/ . I thought I would get to the store before the crowd, but people must have been waiting for the store to unlock the doors. 15 minutes after opening, the front parking lot was almost full, and a line of people were looking through the $1.00 comic boxes outside the front of the store. Inside the store was even more crowded. They already had several artists setting up for their store appearance that afternoon, as well as super hero face painting for children. The adult daughter of the store owners had Wonder Woman's gold tiara painted on her forehead. It was nice to see all of the children in the store. I was able to get the FCBD titles I had picked and I will review them at the end of this issue. I also picked up two Superman issues from Acme's 25% off sale during Free Comic Book Day.

Comic books for the week of Wednesday, April 29, 2009:

Justice Society Of America #26 (DC)
Superman #687 (New Krypton #23 / World Without Superman) (DC)
Final Crisis: Legion Of 3 Worlds #4 (of 5) (DC)

After Watchmen ... What's Next?

Saga Of The Swamp Thing #21 (DC)

From The Back Issue Bin:

Superman #349 (July 1980)
Superman #407 (May 1985)

Free Comic Book Day Titles:
Impact University vol. 5
Blackest Night #0
Love and Rockets

Comic books for the week of Wednesday, April 29, 2009:

Justice Society Of America #26 (DC) * * * * *

This is the last issue by writer Geoff Johns and penciller Dale Eaglesham. I picked it up just to see how they would finish their run on JSA. There were no super villains or super battles in this issue but this was an excellent story. It begins after the end of the JSA's battle against Black Adam, which interfered with one character's birthday. This issue is almost entirely about a surprise party given to this character. This is a "quiet" book, full of character interaction, which is just as compelling and interesting as an issue full of fisticuffs. I know, I'm showing my age. The last page is one of the best ways I've seen of a creative team saying goodbye to their readers in a title.

Superman #687 (New Krypton #23 / World Without Superman) * * * *

Being a fan of the Legion of Super-Heroes, it is fun to see the development of the Science Police in 21st Century Metropolis. The Guardian continues mentoring Mon-El in being a super hero, and in protecting his secret identity. Reading the exploits of both Mon-El and Supergirl, showing their inexperience makes the silver age Superman, keeping that Supergirl's identity secret from the world while he trained her, seem like a wise idea. Several interested parties seem interested in Mon-El's exploits, and there are two interesting cameos by John Irons and Jimmy Olsen.

Final Crisis: Legion Of 3 Worlds #4 (of 5) * * * * *

Upon first reading this issue the ongoing battle was a bit wearing, not because it was boring or pointless, but because of the epic scale of the battle as the combined Legions battle Superboy Prime to stop him from destroying the future Earth. And that's the way it's supposed to be. There are more Legion casualties in this issue to add to the toll. George Perez's art is excellent as always, and this is a typically dense Perez issue. It will take more than one reading to soak in all of the details in the story. There are two surprise twists at the end of the issue, which set up what looks like a fantastic conclusion to this mini-series. This Final Crisis tie-in mini-series looks like it will outshine the main event series. I hope the final issue will come out on time, not only to see how the story will end, but also for the new Adventure Comics and the new Legion to start up as soon as possible. Along with the Superman titles, the Legion is one of the handful of titles I will always read, no matter what.

After Watchmen ... What's Next?

Saga Of The Swamp Thing #21 (Vertiogo / DC) * * * * *

I didn't notice this title last week when I bought the first issues of Preacher and Transmetropolitan that were reprinted with the above banner, so I couldn't pass up the chance to read this classic issue of Swamp Thing. I have only read a few issues of the original Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson run, and none of Alan Moore's. This issue did not disappoint. Ihave yet to read an Alan Moore story I didn't like. This issue of Swamp Thing began Moore's transformation of the character from its origins. It does not ignore or disown the original Wein / Wrightson version of the character, but to add to it and take it in a new direction. It adds to my respect of a comic book writer who respects the work of past creators while taking the character where he wants to go. and I have the utmost respect for Alan Moore as a storyteller.

Free Comic Book Day, Saturday, May 2, 2009:

Imapct University volume 5 (Impact Books) * * *

This is the third issue of Impact Book's FCBD series of how-to tips of comic book creation. The articles inside, with lots of art samples, are excellent, but this issue didn't seem as dense as past ones. That was why I didn't rate it as high as the others. But it doesn't take away from the excellent information inside. I just wish they could have squeezed more of it inside the covers.

Blackest Night #0 (DC) * * * *

This issue is a teaser to the upcoming Blackest Night mini-series long publicized by DC Comics. While I don't read Green Lantern stories, only because of budgetary reasons, especially with Geoff Johns writing the series, I wanted to read this just to get a peak into the story. It's another title I'll have to put on my list of stories to hopefully collect in trade paperbacks. Otherwise I would be picking up this title every month. Geoff Johns is another one of the few comic book writers who I want to read because I haven't seen them write a bad story. Alan Moore is another. Johns should write DC's next big event series. That would grab my interest. This #0 issue did not disappoint. The story only filled the front half of the issue. The remainder was pin-ups of the various colored Lantern groups, with some information on their names, powers and weaknesses. It shows the depth of Geoff Johns imagination.

Love And Rockets (Fantagraphic Books) * * * *

I've head of the title Love And Rockets but had never read any of the stories. I wasn't about to pass up a chance to read a sample of stories by the Hernandez brothers. This issue is filled with mini-stories that show their range of storytelling from typical Hispanic life to more fancifal tales, as well as super hero stories, and they make it work. I look forward to some day picking up the collected stories of Love And Rockets.

From The Back Issue Bin:

These two issues got my attention when I was doing research for my Superman Fan Podcast episode on Mr. Mxyzptlk, #68 http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com/2009/04/Episode_68_Happy_Birthday_Mr_Mxyzptlk-201580.html . When I found them in Acme Comics' back issue bins, at $3.00 before thier 25% off FCBD sale, I couldn't pass them up.

Superman #349 (July 1980) (DC) * * * *

This was the most interesting of the two back issus. Plus, being drawn by Curt Swan didn't hurt either. Superman returns from space to find all of his friends at the Daily Planet and the Justice League changed to the opposite gender. There is even a Superwoman, whose secret identity is Claire Kent. And Superman is the world's greatest villain. How he figures out who is behind everything is very clever. I always enjoy a Superman story more when it shows him using his brain as much as his brawn. The issue also answers the question of whether or not Mxy knows Superman's secret identity.

Superman #407 (May 1985) (DC) * * *

This story appeared near the end of the original run of the golden and silver age Superman. Another Jerry Ordway cover is always nice to see, and the picture of a powerless Superman watching Perry, Lois and Jimmy fly away is intriguing. This story shows Mxy having Superman losing a portion of his powers when he touches one of his Daily Planet friends. Mxy's plans backfire when Superman is knocked unconscious while battling this issue's threat. How Mxy saves Superman is interesting, and it shows he is more mischievous than malevolent.

Send e-mail about this blog to mypulllist@gmail.com .

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com . Expanded show notes are at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com . Send e-mail about this podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews