Facebook Badge

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Issue #41: Comic Books For The Week Of January 21, 2009

Late comic book for the week of December 24, 2008:
The Astounding Wolf-Man #11 (Image) * * *
This title is not on my pull list. I picked it up because it is the second part of a story begun in Invincible #57. I didn't pick up the comics for the last few weeks of December until after New Year's Day, so I didn't know about this issue until this week. Invincible and Wolf-Man face not only the Re-Animen, but another super group. It was cool to see how Invincible uses an opponent as a weapon, (can you say "Batter up"?). The rest of the issue was more of a Wolf-Man story, with Invincible as a guest, as Wolf-Man, Gary, deals with the recent tragedy in his life. It was a good team up and a decent wrap up to the story. I would have rated this issue higher except I don't collect this title and don't plan on it. Wolf-Man is another excellent title by Robert Kirkman, full of his excellent storytelling strengths. I'm just not into monster books and don't have room in my comic buying budget if I did. If you enjoy monster comics, by all means, pick it up if you haven't already.

Comic books for the week of January 21, 2009:
Supergirl #37 (Faces Of Evil tie-in) (DC)
Final Crisis: Superman Beyond 3D #2 (of 2) (DC)
Back Issue Bin: Superman #296 (DC) Who Took The Super Out Of Superman?

Supergirl #37 (Faces Of Evil tie-in) (DC) * * * * *
While this issue is not officially part of the New Krypton story, it is certainly full of the aftermath of that story's conclusion. We learn what exactly happened to Agent Liberty at the end of Action Comics #873. The "apron strings" are pretty strong between Supergirl and her mother Allura, we find out. There are several possibilities to the identity of Superwoman presented. According to a house ad, Faces Of Evil is "The DCU from the villains point of view!" As much as I enjoy this issue, the only thing I don't like is the modern version of Superwoman being presented as a villain. But maybe there is more in store for her in the future that might point to her rehabilitation. I can only hope. I was going to drop Supergirl after the end of New Krypton, strictly for budgetary reasons, but this Superwoman story is too intriguing to miss. I'll keep getting this title at least through this new storyline.

Final Crisis: Superman Beyond 3D #2 (of 2) (DC) * * * * *
This issue even came with its own pair of 3-D glasses, like the first issue. The 3-D effect is very sophisticated and fits in well in the parts of the story it is done, without being a cheap gimmick. While I'm not a regular reader of Final Crisis, I couldn't resist this tie-in. The first issue did not disappoint me, and this concluding issue delivers. Even though the story is a mind bending dimension hopping cosmic story, it has a clear mission and goal. It was a lot of fun to see all of the different versions of Superman, as well as the Dr. Manhattan-like character. The final few pages are the best of the issue. This is a mind-tripping Grant Morrison story that delivers. I did see a preview of the forst pages of Final Crisis #7, so I do plan on looking at the issue this next week at Acme Comics http://acme-superstore.com/) to see if the end of the issue is as good as the first scenes, and warrant picking up at least this issue. I'll let you know next week.

Back Issue Bin: Superman #296 (DC) Who Took The Super Out Of Superman?
This week I intended to look for issue #298, the second part of the Clark Kent Forever - Superman Never! issue #297. Acme Comics did not have #298, but it did have issue #296, which was apparently the beginning of the story. After some super feats, Superman dons his Clark Kent identity, and winds up in the hospital after trying to be a good samaritan. This issue shows the most unusual, if not gross, way for Clark to hide his Superman costume I ever saw. A strange man wearing a yellow suit seems to be trailing Superman / Clark anonymously, (and isn't wearing a yellow suit the best way to blend into a crowd?) All jesting aside, this Cary Bates & Elliot S! Maggin story is one of the better ones from the 1970's. This weekend I plan on visiting Coliseum of Comics (http://www.coliseumofcomics.com/) grand opening at the Sanford Mall and see if they have the (possibly) concluding chapter of this story. I will let you know what I find.

Send e-mail about this blog to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com/. Expanded show notes can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews