Facebook Badge

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Issue #35: Catch Up Week #7: Comic Books For The Week Of October 15, 2008

Things did not work out with my old comic book store, to get my titles without driving an hour into Orlando or having them mailed to me, for reasons I won't go into here. So I set up a subscription at a comic book store in Longwood, Florida, Acme Comics, Cards and Collectibles http://acme-superstore.com/. It has been in business since 1980, and I have visited it in recent years. Some other comic stores in the Orlando area may have some higher end comic merchandise, like life size busts of Marvel characters, but Acme is the most fun. It has a huge collection of action figures and comic book memorabilia which covers many genres and TV shows. It will be fun to look around the store on a regular basis every week. It's still a 45 minute drive, but I take State Road 46 to I-4 outside of the Sanford Mall, and I only have to pass a few exits until I get to the S. R. 434 exit. From there it's a quick drive through the S.R. 425 intersection (Ronald Reagan Blvd.), and the store is one block from 17-92 on the left. The drive is not as tiring as it would be if I had to take I-4 into downtown Orlando, and get off on the U. S. 441 for stop and go traffic to other comic book stores. It's pretty steady driving with only a few traffic lights and usually light traffic for the half hour it takes to get to I-4, and then it's only 15 minutes from the time I get on the interstate to the store's parking lot. Acme's web site has some pictures of their store, so check it out. Now that I've caught up on my comic reading, let's get started with my reviews.

Comic books for the week of Wednesday, October 1, 2008:

Supergirl #34 (DC)

Tor #6 (of 6) (DC)

Top 10 Season 2 #1 (America's Best Comics / Wildstorm / DC)

Invincible #53 (Image)

Invincible issue #53 was not available, but Acme was waiting for more copies, which should arrive next week, Wednesday, October 29, 2008. So I will have to wait to blog about this issue, as well as issue #54, which I picked up today, Wednesday, October 22. In fact, I won't read #54 until I get issue #53. Invincible is one of those titles that I save to read last because I know it will usually be the best title of my stack for the week. I did peek at the inside back cover to see what was coming up, and it looks like writer co-creator Robert Kirkman has some major hard-core action coming up.

Supergirl #34 (DC) * * * * *

The cover posts a familiar yet slightly revised headline from Superman Returns. In the story we see Supergirl doing Super deeds, yet with not quite the ease of her super cousin. After reading some of the earliest Supergirl stories from the 1950's, I can see why the silver age Superman kept his super cousin's identity secret while he trained her how to use her super powers. The modern Kara Zor-El has to learn on the job, so to speak, but she knows who to go to for help. She also learns why having a secret identity can be a good thing, especially for your sanity. Lana has some questions about the direction of her life to answer, after her recent firing by LexCorp. The answer is a familiar one for older Superman readers like me. I'm picking this title up through the Krypton On Earth storyline, but I don't know if I'll continue it after that storyline is over. But this is an excellent story, with a great mix of action with character devvelopment. The art on the cover and in the story is great. I'm anxious to read the Krypton storyline through the super books. Judging from past stories of Kryptonians on Earth, even in "imaginary stories" relations between the two civilizations won't be smooth.

Top 10 Season 2 #1 (of 4) * * * *

Being another co-creation by Alan Moore is a good reason to pick up this next mini-series of the Top 10 title. Although Alan Moore is not involved in this four issue series, co-creator and artist Gene Ha is, and the results with new writers Zander and Kevin Cannon are not disappointing. This is the continuing story about the 10th Precinct Police Station of Neopolis, a city where all of the citizens, and their pets have super powers. A new Commissioner is introduced after a horrible murder happens in the reflecting pool outside the precinct. The new commissioner's orders are not making a smooth transition with the officers, and one the officers discovers her spouse "crossover dressing". One of the great things to do while reading any Top 10 issue is finding the "easter eggs" in the backgrounds of pop culture characters. Early pages of this issue inclued several characters from Hanna-Barbera cartoons. I've only read the last mini-series, drawn by Jerry Ordway, which was what attracted me to the title originally, but this issue promises to lead to another excellent story. Eventually I would like to get the trade paperback of the original Alan Moore stories.

Tor #6 (of 6) (DC) * * * *

This issue concludes this Joe Kubert created character. The 82 year old artist has not lost anything from his wealth of talent and experience. The only reason I did not give this issue 5 (*)'s is that last issue was the climax of the story and this issue is the denouement, as Tor and his unnamed woman begin his journey to return to his home, but not before he faces a few more dangers this secluded, dangerous land have to offer. The cover actually points to an incident Tor faces inside the issue. Told all in captions, with no word balloons or sound effects, this issue, like the rest of this mini-series, is a textbook on how words and pictures combine to tell the story, and how each contributes what the other cannot. I will be keeping my eye open for Kubert's next comic book project.

Comic Books For The Week Of Wednesday, October 8, 2008:

Action Comics #870 (DC) * * * * *

This issue is the finale to the Brainiac story. And before I could get a chance to read this concluding issue last week I read the major spoiler at the end of the issue (which I won't reveal here in case there is anyone who hasn't read this story yet) on a web site. Just like with the death of Steve Rogers Captain America, a major newspaper revealed the end of the story before most comic book readers could get to a comic book store. That did not take away from my enjoyment of this issue. Artist Gary Frank is on my short list of favorite Superman artists. He has an excellent grasp on showing subtle human emotion through facial expressions. Just when things seem hopeless for Superman and Supergirl, we see how hard core Superman can be when he needs to be. And a few words of comfort to Kara have far reaching effects. And the ending is jaw dropping, even when you know it's coming.

Comic books for the week of Wednesday, October 15, 2008:
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen Special #1 (of 1) (DC)
Justice Society of America #19 (DC)
Ultimate Origins #5 (of 5) (Marvel)
Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds #2 (of 5) (DC)

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #1 (of 1) (DC) * * * * *
The first thing I enjoyed about this issue was seeing Jimmy becoming an adventurer himslef, as he was in Jack Kirby's Jimmy Olsen issues and in the '90's with the Cadmus Project. Cadmus is involved in this issue as well. Someone is targeting anyone involved with Cadmus for assassination, and Jimmy is investigating the story. What he finds out points to a future storyline for Superman, and does not bode well for him. What I enjoyed most about this issue was Jimmy beginning to grow up. It seemed after Infinite Crisis DC de-aged Jimmy, as well as Pa Kent, who looked completely different. It's about time we see Jimmy begin to grow into the top notch journalist we know he can be.

Justice Society of America #19 (DC) * * * *
Jerry Ordway draws the first few pages about Power Girl's delimma, which is enough for me to pick up this issue. The full consequences of Gog's actions become apparent to the JSA, and both Gog and Magog force each JSA member to make difficult choices. I would have given this issue 5 (*)'s, but this issue points to next issue, when the fat hits the fire. This issue seems to be setting up the final conflict, maybe, starting next issue, which promises to be a 5 (*) story.

Ultimate Origins #5 (of 5) (Marvel) * * * * *
We learn the full story about the obelisks, and Nick Fury makes a disturbing discovery in the Canadian wilderness. We also learn how the Ultimate Professor Xavier is crippled, and a dark secret about the Ultimate Mutants. With the heading March To Ultimatum above the title I know Ultimate Origins would lead to another event series, but it did not leave me feeling empty. It fulfilled the purpose of the title and revealed the origins of the Ultimate Marvel Universe, and it was a dark and almost true to life story, deserving of the Ultimate title. It shows how the past of the Ultimate universe is going to impact the present in the Ultimate world.

Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds #2 (of 5) (DC) * * * * *
The Legion of Super-Villains gets stronger while the Legion of Super-Heroes still seems splintered. But the Legion is beginning its counter-offensive, and, in Legion fashion, sending teams out to accomplish different parts of the plan. It will take more than one reading to soak in George Perez's detailed art, and detailed is an understatement. After Superman, I enjoy the Legion the most, and this mini-series does not disappoint, and I hope at its conclusion that all of the resent confusing reboots are laid to rest and a new continuity established which includes the classic Legion that Legion fans love, to move the Legion forward.

Next Week:
Comic books for the week of Wednesday, October 22, 2008:
Terry Moore's Echo #7 (Abstract Studios)
Invincible #54 (Image)
Superman: New Krypton (DC)
I won't be reviewing Invincible #54 because I have not received issue #53, and I don't want to get ahead of the story. I did peek at the inside back cover to see what was coming up, and it promises to ramp up the action and conflict for Invincible. So I will review #54 when I review the comics from next week, October 29.

Send e-mail about My Pull List to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com/. Expanded show notes can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews