Facebook Badge

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Issue #31: Comic Books For The Week of Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Comic books for the week of Wednesday, July 9, 2008:
Final Crisis: Requiem #1 (of 1) (DC)
Comic books for the week of Wednesday, September 17, 2008:
Terry Moore's Echo #6 (Abstract Studios)
Action Comics #869 (DC)
All-Star Superman #12 (of 12) (DC)

I know I'm a little late about Final Crisis: Requiem. The only Final Crisis tie-in I'm reading is Final Crisis:Legion of 3 Worlds, but after watching Blair Butler's Fresh Ink podcast recently, her review compelled me to check out Requiem. I wasn't disappointed.
What made this a great week for reading comic books were the latest chapter of the Brainiac story in Action Comics and the final issue of All-Star Superman. I was not disappointed about any of the titles I read this week. So you can imagine what my ratings will be this week.
this week I will be reviewing these titles a little differently. Even though Requiem is some weeks old, I will be reviewing them in the order I read them, not in order of release, saving my favorite read for last.

Terry Moore's Echo #6 (Abstract Studios) * * * * *
I was going to rate this issue 4*'s but I have to rate this at 5. Terry Moore is moving the story along, and filling in the gaps of the characters' histories. We learn a little about Dillon's late girlfriend Annie, and what she was working on at HeNRI, while he and Julie are on the run. The person on their trail, the very experienced "troubleshooter" Ivy is searching for clues about Julie's weherabouts. What secret of Julie's does she discover? There's more to this plot, and what HeNRI is up to, than what we've seen so far, and this is one of the mysteries that keep me waiting in anticipation for the next issue. I'm hooked on Julie and Dillon and their struggle, and look forward to the story of how, or if, they overcome the forces chasing them.

Final Crisis: Requiem #1 (of 1) (DC) * * * * *
Martian Manhunter is a character I read in the back of Detective Comics as a boy in the 1960's and had a fondness for. I enjoyed him in Justice League: Europe as the hopeless voice of sanity in an embassy of crazy characters in costumes, and his craving for Choco cookies (Oreos). When I read that he was swiftly killed in Final Crisis #1 I didn't have the heart to read it, beyond the fact I'm burnt out on "event" books. I was more shocked at the murder of Sue Dibney in the older series Identity Crisis, but the story was too much to resist, and that was several "event" series ago. Sue and Ralph Dibney as the Elongated Man were other characters I enjoyed from my youth in the back of Detective. I've already posted my admiration for how Ralph Dibney's story ended in the final issue of 52, but I'm ready for a moratorium on superhero characters dying. It's become an overused plot device when creative teams and editors run out of ideas for some characters, I would rather see such characters put on a back burner, when possible, until a creative team can develop a fresh idea for the character. I would prefer that over once again turning death into a revolving door, another overused plot device that could use some rest.
Having said all that, I was very touched by this issue. We learn what John J'onzz meant to the DC heroes and how many of them were hit very hard by his death. His mental link to them in his final moments provides an original and effective platform to summarize his long history. Their final good-bye to their close firend, and the lenghts everyone goes to entomb Martian Manhunter with honor is excellent. I just hate that one of the best Martian Manhunter stories happened to be his last. Another thing I like about this one shot issue is that you do not need to read the main Final Crisis mini-series to understand what's happening, and I thank writer Peter J. Tomasi for that. Even if you feel the same way about "event" series as I do, and aren't reading Final Crisis, I would recommend Final Crisis: Requiem. Part of me would like to see Martian Manhunter return in great stories, but I have enough respect for the character to say good bye. Rest in peace, John J'onzz.

Action Comics #869 (DC) * * * * *
This fourth part of the five-part Brainiac story really backs Superman and Supergirl in a corner, before next issue's conclusion. We also see a fiesty and fearless Lois, which we haven't seen in a while. Superman is re-introduced to some familiar faces to silver age Superman lore, and Supergirl's escape from Argo City, first introduced in Superman/Batman #8, is filled in more. If Warner Bro's. movie executives are looking to make a "dark" Superman movie, they need look no farther than using Brainiac as a villain. They could make as dark of a Superman movie as they want without finding a reason to put Superman in a black costume and making him a character he isn't, a Batman without the cowl. And the next story about Kandorians on Earth promises to continue the excellent run of Action Comics issues, which is living up to its title thanks to Geoff Johns.

All-Star Superman #12 (of 12) * * * * *
When I saw that this concluding issue was finally being published I knew this would be the issue I would save for last because it would be the best story I would read this week. I was not disappointed in that regard. Superman has one final labor to perform. Grant Morrison has found a creative way to truly physically challenge Superman and show how Superman is willing to fight to his last breath to overcome the villain. This series has shown Superman using his brains as well as his brawn, and shows how he can match withs with Lex Luthor and not be found lacking. For all of Luthor's genius his greatest fault over the decades has always been his vanity and selfishness. Superman's greatest strength has always been his lack of vanity, his selflessness. I don't think I've spoiled the end of the story. Like most great Superman stories, this one has a touch of melancholy at the end. Now that I have the entire series I'll have to take these issues to work with me tomorrow to read the story as a whole. On my list of favorite Superman stories I would have to place the entire All-Star Superman series as my fourth favorite story. #3 is the Alan Moore story For the Man Who Has Everything, #2 is Alan Moore's Whatever Happened To the Man of Tomorrow? My favorite Superman story is Superman #167 The Luthor Brainiac Team.

Comic books scheduled for the week of September 24, 2008:
(in the order I plan on reading them, saving the best for last as usual)
Legion of Super-Heroes #46 (DC)
Fantastic Four #560 (Marvel)
Powers #30 (Icon/Marvel)
After Diamond Comics Distributors updates its list next Monday, I'll know if there is anything else to add to my list.

Send e-mail about My Pull List to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com/. Expanded show notes can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews