Facebook Badge

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Issue #27: Comic Books Fro The Week of Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds #1 (of 5) (DC)
Back Issue Special:
Birds of Prey #75 (DC, December 2004)

This week I would not have had any comic books to review, except for the fact that I am reading Legion of 3 Worlds. This is the only Final Crisis mini-series that I am reading. I had gotten to the point over the last several years that I was burnt out on the big event mini-series coming out every year. It wouldn't matter what the plot would be, I wasn't interested. That was why I dropped Countdown near the end. But I am such a Legion of Super-Heroes fan that I could not pass up Legion of 3 Worlds. Plus, with Geoff Johns and George Perez creating the story, it was hard to be patient until issue 1 finally was published. Well, the waiting is finally over.

Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds #1 (of 5) (DC) * * * * *
This story begins at the end of the Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes story from Action Comics. Earth is still recovering from the xenophobia, as well as the rest of the United Planets. We also get a quick summary of Legion history, as well as Jimmy Olsen history, in a very clever way that advances the plot at the same time. The 31st century is definitely in their own crisis, and the odds are stacked against the Legion, as usual. The art is typical Geroge Perez, with multiple panels and minute details. It will take more than one reading to soak in all of the story details from the art. George Perez isn't getting older, he's getting better. And I can't wait to see where the Legion will be after the final issue #5.

Birds of Prey #75 (DC, December 2004) * * * * *
Wednesday, when I went to my local comic book store Bad Apple Comics (http://bacomics.com/), I was going to look for this issue. After doing my episode on Gail Simone on Superman Fan Podcast (http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com), I read the Lady Blackhawk script she had posted on a blog on her MySpace page. I had read a few issues of Blackhawk in the 1960's, and enjoyed the Blackhawk stories from Action Comics Weekly and the Blackhawk series of the 1990's. After reading the script I had to find the issue to read the comic book itself. I was not disappointed. This was a double sized issue, being #75. The first story involved the regular Birds of Prey cast. We are reprised of the catastrophic events of the previous issue, when the clocktower was destroyed. The team spends the issue picking up the pieces. This was the perfect issue after such an action packed story form #74. Just like in real life, we have to recuperate after big events, whether happy or tragic. The Lady Blackhawl story is the second story. Titled There Would Be No Spring, it was pencilled by the excellent Eduardo Barreto, who has a classic drawing style. It summarizes her history, and how she has stayed so young over the decades, and how she puts her life back together now. It's a great story for Blackhawk fans to add to their collection.

Send e-mail about My Pull List to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman Fan Podcast can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com. Expanded show notes can be found at http://supermanfanpodcast.blogspot.com. E-mail about the podcast can be sent to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews