Facebook Badge

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Issue #13: Comics for the Week of 3/26/08

Friday, March 28, 2008 is payday, so it's comic book week, and I also pick up what was on my pull list from last week as well.

Comics for the week of March 19, 2008:

Invincible #49 (Image)

Comics for the week of March 26, 2008:

All-Star Superman #10 (DC)
Dan Dare #5 (of 7) (Virgin)
Legion of Super-Heroes #40 (DC)

I have to say that this was a great week for the comics I read. For one thing, any week that All-Star Superman is published is a good week. And now I present my reviews in the order I read them, saving the best for last.

Dan Dare #5 (of 7) (Virgin) * * * * *
With the rescue of the colonists completed in the previous issue, Dan Dare seems to have finished introducing the characters and getting started digging into the story, especially this issue. We find Dan Dare's British "stiff upper lip" attitude isn't starch, it's granite. He shows an ability to pick junior officers who have leadership potential, and recognize senior officers who have anything but. That is a great scene between Dare and Lt. Christian. Dare shows his own leadership ability, and isn't afraid on stepping on any senior officer's toes, when they don't match his standard. After being put back on their heels, the Space Fleet begins to get back on it's feet. Next issue promises to be a real barn burner.

Legion of Super-Heroes #40 (DC) * * * *
It's becoming apparent that Jim Shooter hasn't lost anything as a comic book writer, especially on the title that began his career as a 13 or 14 year-old. After seeming overwhelmed as Legion leader, Lightning Lad seems to begin to find his bearings as a leader, although he's not perfect. The Legion find that something is suspicious in the aftermath of the battle with the violent aliens that began his run. And Princess Projectra's tragic storyline doesn't get any happier. The intrigue that permeated the best Legion stories of the best is apparent in this issue, and I'm becoming more confident about Shooter's stint on the title. I think long-time Legion fans will enjoy it.

Invincible #49 (Image) * * * * *
Last issue seemed a lot of set up for the big 50th issue coming next month, although it was still an interesting story. Well, this issue really sets up the big 5-0 coming up! Invincible gets a real eye-opener about his boss, Cecil Stedman, especially at the end. Kirkman wasn't kidding when he said things won't be the same after the 50th issue. This one ends in a real cliff-hanger. I can't really describe any plot points without spoiling anything, so go out and buy it!

All-Star Superman #10 (DC) * * * * *
This title is one I always save for last, along with Invincible or Powers. This issue really returns to the plot that began in the first issue and was put on the back burner for a while after issue #3. Superman spends his time trying to tie up some loose ends, and figure out how to accomplish some super feats he has promised to do. This issue reminded me of several silver age stories from my youth in the '60's all rolled into one, yet bringing original twists to the story. My previos favorite issues involved Superwoman and Funeral In Smallville, but this one is my favorite of all of them. Pick up the trade All-Star Superman, vol. I, collecting issues 1-6, and get the rest from the back issue boxes of your comic book store.

All-Star Superman is my featured topic this week on Superman Fan Podcast, which can be found at www.supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com. Send e-mail about the podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

Send e-mail about My Pull List to mypulllist@gmail.com. I look forward to reading what's on your pull list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Twitter

Total Pageviews